Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Colony

Colony Action & Adventure





It's hard to judge a show based on just the pilot, as the actors are trying to find their footing in their characters, and the writers are trying to find the right rhythm to telling the story. Here we have some familiar starring in this new show, which has yet to prove itself.



I really liked Josh's "Sawyer" character in Lost - I think he did a great job 10 years ago playing the role; a strong and silent, smooth talker, ladies man, and I'm excited to see more of him and what he does. However, 10 years on his new character is an ex-military-in-hiding secret agent dad with a missing son. Not sure what he'll do with that, but I'm looking forward to the opportunity he has to grow in the role; I think he deserves a show and hope he has what it takes to carry this one. Oh, and by the way, although I've seen pictures of him clean cut and with short hair, he's rocking the same long-hair perma-stubble look he had through Lost. I'm not sure if that's his normal look in life, or if he's hoping he can drum up some of that old "Sawyer Love" to rope in an audience and get this show going? 



Sex sells, and producers aren't beyond a little bit to sell a pilot. For example, USA had a great gratuitous shot in their pilot for Suits, even though it had little to do with the plot and similar scenes never reappeared in the show. At any rate, there is one passionate scene in the pilot between Will Bowman (Holloway) and his wife Katie (Callies), which just felt awkward to watch...


Near the end of the pilot Katie takes off her shirt and in her Maidenform bra starts making out with him on a very dark set. We had already seen them kissing several times in the episode to express how close they are as husband and wife. The whole scene felt too long, didn't do much for character/relationship development than a long hug/'I love you'/teary eye'd return would have done. And, as opposed to the girl in the pilot for SUITS, the scene wasn't gratuitous to really work to rope me in hoping I'll see more of this in the show. 





Speaking of the other headliner name to the show, I never really liked Sarah's characters; her Prison Break character always annoyed me, and again in The Walking Dead she was one of my least favorite characters. I suppose she is polarizing in that some people will find her good, but I just never did. I'm not sure if it's the acting being bad, or the character's she's played that I didn't like, or her personality coming through in her roles. I'll give her one more shot to find out, but I have my reservations already. 


I think the story could be fun - we'll have to see. The pitch so far has potential; there is a strong indication it has to do with an Alien occupation. Something like 'Independence Day' / 'District 9' meets WWII Nazi Germany, with a big wall separating families, and humans (red hats) recruited for policing humans. The occupiers have all kinds of technology: giant silvery walls dividing the city, x-ray/thermal/IR scanning of truck cargo, flying drones, even something to make an impressive light show at night. Meanwhile all the 'normal' people are bartering for services (because there is no money?), riding bicycles (although some vehicles still work?) and resorting to making hooch insulin from dogs (but not understanding that it needs refrigeration?). And of course there is "the resistance" - a ragtag group resorting to using IEDs to voice their displeasure. Its a little of something familiar with a new twist. We'll have to see where the writers take it. 



The director has some good cinematography - some aerial footage of LA (maybe taken by drone?) There is a decent mix of CGI : drones, aerial views of giant walls around the city, strange mushroom cloud-like explosions of light in the sky... I hope it isn't over done too much, as I'm not really into it, or shows like Grimm where the show depends on the CGI. But there were a decent amount of custom props and sets too that I think this show could mix it well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment